600 Parents, Students & Educators on Statewide Bus Tour
(Long Island, N.Y.) Next Wednesday, December 5th, 600 students, parents, educators & community members will be headed to Albany on the Educate NY Now Express bus tour. Armed with banners detailing what’s missing in their schools and what a quality education looks like, buses from across the state will converge in Albany to call on the Governor and the Legislature to keep their commitment to provide a “sound basic education” and reinvest in New York’s public school children.
The Educate NY Now rally will begin at 3:30 p.m. with a march down the steps of the State Museum (260 Madison Avenue, Albany, NY) across the plaza to the West Lawn of the Capital where the rally will take place. If there is inclement weather, the rally will take place on the fourth floor of the State Museum.
WHEN: 3:30 p.m.
WHERE: 260 Madison Avenue, Albany, NY
Each bus route will be making stops along the way to pick up more people. At these stops, people will be joining their banners into one long, unified message of, “A Dream Deferred is a Dream Denied.” Additionally, at these local bus stops, parents, students and educators will be speaking out about cuts to classrooms and the loss of opportunities in their area. This is an opportunity for local press to hear what is happening in their school districts.
There will be local stops and press events in Buffalo, Batavia, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Hornell, Naples, Elmira, Binghamton, Otego, Yonkers, Kingston, Greenville, Long Island and New York City. There will also be buses coming from Canton, Olean, Cohoes, South Colonie, Troy, Schoharie, and Albany.
Long Island EXPRESS
- 9:15am: Bus Pick up — NYSUT Regional office, 150 Vanderbilt Motor Pkwy. – Suite 306 Hauppauge, NY
- 9:30am: Depart for Massapequa
- 10:00am: PRESS EVENT – LIPC office 90 Pennsylvania Ave, Massapequa
- 10:50am — Depart Long Island
- 2:00pm – PRESS EVENT Arrive Greenville High School, 4976 New York 81 Greenville, NY
- 2:45pm – Depart for Albany
- 3:15pm – Arrive at the State Museum, 260 Madison Ave, Albany
- 3:30pm – RALLY/MARCH to Capitol
- 5:00pm – Depart for Greenville
- 5:30pm – Arrive Greenville
- 8:40pm – Arrive Long Island
For more information on Educate NY Now Express, click here