Albertson, Long Island
Albertson is an unincorporated village and census-designated place located in Nassau County, Long Island, New York. The neighborhood is in the south Roslyn and east of Searingtown. The boundary between Albertson & Searingtown is ill-defined, as they share the same post office and are unincorporated. In general, Searingtown refers to the area west of Searingtown Road and Albertson the area east of Willis Avenue.
As of the 2010 census, there were 5,182 people, 1,789 households, and 1,398 families residing in the CDP. The median income for a household in the CDP was $56,951, and the median income for a family was $69,202. Families (non-single residences) represent 80.0% of the total population. Albertson ZIP Code is 11507. The latitude of Albertson is 40.773N. The longitude is -73.643W. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 128 feet.
In 1644, the area was first settled by a European settler named John Seren who came from Connecticut. Albertson started as a farm and gristmill and the neighborhood became known as Albertson. The community was taken its name from Richard Albertson, a landowner. A road was constructed through Albertson on the lands of Isaac Underhill Willets in 1850. The Long Island Rail Road designated an Albertson train station in 1864. There was a suburbanization took place with a small development in 1946 by William Levitt before he built Levittown. According to the famous researchers in New York, Albertson is a very safe place to live because their research showed that there were no registered sex offenders living in this place in early 2007.
Albertson is mainly a residential neighborhood. Residents are mostly Italian, Irish, German, Asian Indian, Polish, and Chinese immigrants. The racial-makeup of Albertson comprises of 82.13% White, 0.23% African American, 0.02% Native American, 14.52% Asian, 1.27% from other races, and 1.83% from two or more races. The neighborhood is served by Herricks Union Free School District which has two primary schools, one middle school, and a high school. The district focuses more on their students academic achievements which they believe that all students can learn at high levels, respect for individual differences, and most of all caring and cooperative relationships among the adults. The Clark Botanic Garden is a famous landmark in Albertson which established in 1969 on the former estate of Greenville Clark, an advisor to late President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It is a 12-acre living museum and educational facility that now contains approximately 5,000 species of plants, with over 1,000 labeled trees, shrubs, and garden plants arranged in 12 specialty gardens including native wildflowers, conifers, roses, perennials, daylilies, wetland plants, rock garden plants, and medicinal plants.