Copiague, Long Island
Copiague is a hamlet and census-designated place located in Suffolk County, on the South Shore of Long Island to the east of Amityville, New York and to the west of Lindenhurst. It is in the Township of Babylon about 35 miles east of New York City and 70 miles west of Montauk Point. The area is home to large Polish-American residents.
As of the 2010 census, there were 22,993 people, 7,054 households, and 5,083 families residing in the CDP. The median income for a household in the CDP was $71,828, and the median income for a family was $81,070. Males had a median income of $50,948 and just $36,267 for females. The latitude of Copiague is 40.681N. The longitude is -73.4W. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 23 feet.
The name "Copiague" comes from the Merrick Indian word meaning "Sheltered Harbor" or “Sheltered place”. The area was early settled by baymen, farmers, and tradesmen. In 1693, Chief Wyandanch sold land, which included Copiague, to early settlers, who renamed it South Huntington, for 12 coats, 20 pounds of gunpowder, 20 hatchets and 20 knives. It has gone through several name changes.
In the 1666 deed for the area is stated to be a “passel of meddow” being in a neck commonly called by the Indians “Coppiage”. In 1895, the hamlet was officially named Copiague. Like many early towns on Long Island, much of the land was used for farming. A gristmill was built located on the north side of South Road (Merrick Road) owned and operated by Thomas Ireland. In later years, a saw mill and cloth mill were also built.
The Copiague Harbor is also known as Great South Bay Estates and the "Harbor" to other Copiague residents. It is a small upscale community located on a southern peninsula within the hamlet of Copiague. The community offers amenities including a mini-beach and mini-marina on a private lagoon.
Well-known residents include Guglielmo Marconi, inventor (summer resident) and Zebulon Ketcham, Revolutionary patriot. The Copiague Public School District consists of three elementary schools, one middle school for grades six through eight, and one high school for grades nine through twelve. It offers quality educational programs that will enhance every student learning skills. The area has two historical Native American and Civil War burial grounds.
Copiague's Italian influence can be surprising to those who are not aware of the high proportion of early and prominent settlers who came from this particular part of Europe. Parts of the village were once made to look like Venice with gondolas and canals and streets continue to have common Italian names.
Several houses of worship can be found in Copiague and Bethel AME Church is the oldest African-American Church on Long Island. Local festivals in the area include The Long Island Bluegrass Festival which is held every year mostly in the months of July or August. The Copiague’s Public Library has a total of 150 thousand books, magazines, and related materials. The library is very significant to the residents of Copiague because it provides all information of the area’s history. Tanner Park is one of the famous parks in Copiague that is primarily a recreational area which includes a beach located on the Great South Bay.