Second indictment involves two additional young female victims
(Long Island, NY) A 29 year old Bayshore man was convicted this afternoon of predatory sexual assault against a child and other violent felony sex crimes after six hours of deliberations over the past three days, Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota announced this evening.
![]() Juan Pablo Zelaya, who potentially faces 50 years to life when he is sentenced on May 21 |
Juan Pablo Zelaya potentially faces 50 years to life when he is sentenced on May 21, DA Spota said. The victim was an 11-year old female.
Zelaya’s trial began on April 11. In addition to the class “A” felony of predatory sexual assault, Zelaya was found guilty of sexual conduct against a child in the first degree, rape in the first degree, two counts of sexual abuse in the first degree and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
“This young girl showed tremendous courage by taking the stand to describe to the jury the awful crimes she endured over the span of one year,” District Attorney Spota said. “Her account was compelling and today’s guilty verdict secures a measure of justice that we hope will help her begin to heal.”
Zelaya continually victimized the girl from April 2011 through mid-April 2012.
“Zelaya’s arrest last September and his conviction today are the result of the hard work of Assistant District Attorney Caren Manzello and the Suffolk County Police Detectives from the Third Squad. Their diligence ensures this predator will spend decades behind bars,” DA Spota said.
In a second separate indictment the defendant faces 17-counts alleging he committed sex crimes against two other girls younger than 15. One victim was assaulted from October 2011 through April of last year; the second victim from March through May of 2012.
The charges alleged are predatory sexual assault against a child, rape in the first degree, criminal sexual act in the first degree, sexual abuse in the first degree and endangering the welfare of a child.





