LONG ISLAND, NY – It’s that time of year, when dozens of business and community leaders spend countless hours as Folio judges. Their job? Judge the news.
It’s all part of the Fair Media Council’s annual Folio Awards, a ‘green-light ethics’ program that shows the media what it’s doing right.
“This may very well be the only program of its type in the country,” said FMC CEO Jaci Clement. “We bring together an eclectic mix of judges to provide feedback to the media of what kinds of news and information the community wants and needs. This is all about the power of the people.”
SHHHHH! Judging in progress.
With more than 300 entries, the judging process continues.
“What’s really exciting this year is we are seeing entries from new voices. That means there is an ecosystem bubbling up within Long Island, giving Long Islanders more places to tell their stories and share needed information to move this community forward,” said Clement, noting, “We haven’t seen anything like this before.”
The Folio Awards program would not be possible without the work of the judges. The Fair Media Council extends its gratitude to the following judging class of 2015:
- Bob Horvath, RAPP
- Bradley Gerstman, Gotham Government Relations
- Charlie MacLeod, SMMA
- Christopher Wright, Protiviti
- David Okorn, Long Island Community Foundation
- Ernest Bartol, Murphy, Bartol & O’Brien
- James Kinney, WeiserMazars LLP
- Jeffrey Reynolds, Family & Children’s Association
- Jeffrey Morosoff, Hofstra University
- Joseph Bosnack, Katz Nassau Agency
- Joseph Sellitto, Bradley & Parker Insurance
- John Durso, Long Island Federation of Labor
- John Miller, American Red Cross on Long Island
- John Stellakis, Murphy, Bartol & O’Brien
- Jordan Darrow, Darrow Associates
- Kevin Dahill, Nassau-Suffolk Hospital Council
- Kevin Kelly, Big Buzz Marketing Group
- Kevin Ryan, Ryan & Ryan
- Luis Portiansky, Towers Watson
- Marianne Garvin, CDC of Long Island
- Mike Dawidziak, Strategic Planning
- Orlando Milian, Douglas Elliman
- Patricia Quinn, United Cerebral Palsy of Nassau
- Patrick Macri, Millennium Communications
- Ray Caliendo, Art-of-Form Architecture
- Richard Turan, Turan Family Foundation
- Robert Catell, AERTC
- Robert Salvatico, Jaral Properties
- Wayne Grosse, Bethpage Federal Credit Union
The results of the judging process are made public at FMC Folio Awards, the biggest media event on Long Island. The event takes place Friday, April 24 at 11 a.m. at Crest Hollow Country Club, Woodbury, N.Y. Sponsorships, journal ads and tickets are on sale now. Contact Einfo@fairmediacouncil.org or call 516-224-1860 for more information.