History of the Cedar Island Lighthouse
The Cedar Island Lighthouse has been a landmark in the Sag Harbor area since 1839. No longer in active use, the Cedar Island Lighthouse nonetheless remains a Long Island landmark and is in fact undergoing preservation efforts to ensure that it stays that way. The following paragraphs will highlight the history of this important structure and help individuals to understand why preservation may very well be in order.
Built in 1839, this entirely wooden structure acted as a warning signal for those ships which got too close to the shoreline. The money which was necessary to build Cedar Island Lighthouse was appropriated by Congress a few years prior to its construction and the land which the lighthouse was built on was sold shortly after that point to the federal government. That original structure existed until 1868 when a new one was constructed to replace the existing Cedar Island Lighthouse at that time and included a new light and fog bell. Throughout the century which followed, various repairs were made and riprap were added to the existing structure as reinforcements. The lighthouse continued in operation until it was deactivated in 1934. From that point forward, the structure remained on Cedar Island but the land has seen much erosion since that time and the lighthouse much wear and tear.
Steps towards Preservation
In the beginning of the 21st century, numerous steps were taken towards preserving the Cedar Island Lighthouse. In September of 2002, the Cedar Island Lighthouse was approved to be included on the list of State and National Register of Historic Places. From that point onward, steps were taken to help with the preservation process and ensure that the lighthouse continued to be in existence on Cedar Point. A replica of Cedar Island Lighthouse is now being sold by Harbour Lights with all of the profits going towards the preservation efforts. Each of the steps being taken to help preserve the lighthouse can be said to be a step in the right direction.